Primarily responsible for oversight of design, engineering and construction of new buildings, major maintenance and remodeling projects throughout the Archdiocese in compliance with Archdiocesan Construction, Finance, Insurance and Legal policies and procedures as well as applicable governmental code regulations (local, state and federal jurisdictions) and Canon law requirements.
Effectively assists the Director of Construction in responding to and following up on all aspects of maintenance, repair, design, engineering and construction for the Archdiocese, including oversight of Administrative staff, internal Project Managers and external Consultants for compliance and quality control.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Because all Archdiocesan employees represent the Roman Catholic Church, they are expected to conduct themselves according to the goals and mission of the Church in performing their work.
• Supervise and direct the Construction Office personnel, Architects, Engineers, Consultants, Project Managers and Contractors for compliance with existing and new Archdiocesan policies and procedures (which include but are not limited to Construction, Real Estate, Finance, Insurance and Legal policies and procedures). Helps ensure compliance and identifies exceptions to policy, which requires special management approvals.
• Oversee and ensure the quality and integrity of design and construction.
• Implement design control and construction management policies and online tools. Oversee adherence to best change management strategies for cost containment within approved project budgets.
• Assist in developing standardized reporting procedures and protocols.
• Draft and prepare new policies and procedures as needed. Where applicable, assist in revising existing policies and procedures.
• Assists in serving as subject matter expert in terms of construction projects for the Archdiocese.
• Manages activities involved in selecting and hiring of architects, engineers and contractors including reviewing preliminary plans, developing specifications, requesting bids, and selecting and recommending most appropriate company to perform the job.
• Evaluates necessity of new construction, major maintenance projects and remodeling; recommends alternatives to reduce costs where possible; recommends approval/disapproval of proposed projects.
• Provide oversight of and monitors the design and construction progress to guarantee compliance with plans by architects, engineers, consultants and general contractors. Ensures that the final result will be fully outfitted and completely equipped. Performs final inspections on completed specifications and objectives. May visit job sites to evaluate work progress, quality, and safety.
• Assists in preparing and/or providing oversight in the preparation of budgets, reports, and any other information required for the approval of new construction and major remodeling projects.
• Reviews and approves invoices from contractors, architects, engineers and applicable vendors; checks for accuracy of invoices and compliance with budget and contracts.
• Coordinates activities and resolves problems to keep projects on track with architects, engineers, contractors, parish staff, building inspectors, fire marshals, and labor union officials.
• Prepare projects for Archdiocesan Building Commission review and approval; prepares and provides data relative to proposed projects and assists with pre-meeting and post-meeting documentation.
• Directs asbestos removal program ensuring proper inspection, removal in accordance with law and preparation and filing of required reports.
• Ensures compliance with reinforcement of older buildings to meet current regulations on earthquake construction standards.
• Oversees maintenance of Construction files and computerized records.
• Assists Director of Construction and may perform department head activities including budget preparation and compliance; reviewing, developing and recommending policy changes; supervising staff (assigning and reviewing work, conducting performance appraisals and providing training and guidance as needed).
• Assists the Director of Construction to supervise, direct, delegate, coordinate, and monitor work of assigned personnel.
• Assists in the coordination of all aspects of construction or repair until completion.
• Assists in interviewing applicants and in hiring decisions.
• Dispatches contractors and subcontractors to make emergency and maintenance repairs.
• Coordinates maintenance and repair jobs in parishes, schools, etc. with appropriate personnel and subcontractors.
• Examines and responds to repair requests for Archdiocese buildings.
• Assists in evaluating and prioritizing projects and resources.
• Interacts with subcontractors, contractors, and maintenance personnel to schedule work.
• Notifies supervisor or appropriate personnel on emergencies and other situations requiring their attention.
• Performs related duties as required. Assumes related responsibilities as necessary.