Director of Music (full-time)
Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels
The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Downtown Los Angeles is seeking a full time Director of Music. A practicing Catholic, familiar with the Roman Catholic Liturgy and the role of music within the Liturgy, and versatile in both contemporary and traditional styles of Catholic Church music is sought.
Under the supervision of the Pastor and in cooperation with the Cathedral Liturgy Team, the Director of Music is responsible for creating and overseeing a high quality sacred music program that leads Cathedral congregations “to that full, conscious, and active participation in liturgical celebrations” (Sacrosanctum Concilium #14), and embodies the Cathedral mission statement to be “a welcoming community of prayer, worship and service.”
Duties and responsibilities:
- In accordance with the documents of the Church and the mission and vision of the Cathedral, oversees all music in the Cathedral, with an emphasis on providing high quality music, of multiple genres, that is accessible and promotes congregational participation.
- Ensures that music is provided for all Cathedral liturgies by selecting appropriate music and by scheduling choirs, cantors and musicians for all Sunday and weekday Masses, as well as for other Cathedral and Stational liturgies.
- Directly supervises Cathedral music staff including Cathedral Organist and Cathedral Spanish Choir Director; oversees all music personnel and establishes levels of acceptable competence. Engages supplementary musicians as needed for special occasions; approves substitutes.
- Directs the Cathedral Choir, including scheduling, recruiting, auditioning, planning and conducting rehearsals and performances (both liturgical and non-liturgical).
- Serves as substitute organist or piano accompanist as needed.
- In cooperation with Cathedral Administration, prepares annual budget for Cathedral Music program and administers fiscal matters relating to music such as submission of invoices, reimbursement requests, monthly choir payroll and cantor and musician payments.
- Works with Cathedral Liturgy Team to explore the development of new choirs, ensembles and programs to enhance catechesis of the faithful on the role of music in liturgy and to increase active musical participation by the assembly
- Collaborates with Cathedral leadership to explore and to create programs and opportunities for parish, school and cultural music groups to participate in the celebration of Sunday Cathedral Masses.
- Develops and maintains Cathedral music library in accord with budgetary constraints.
- Responsible for care, use, repair and maintenance of organ, pianos, musical instruments and choir areas.
- Assists with the preparation of music programs and worship aids (Cathedral liturgies and musical events) when needed.
- Helps maintain and grow the Cathedral’s role as a cultural center in the Downtown Arts Corridor by facilitating Cathedral Concert Series and Recital events. Works with Cathedral team to organize all public relations and promotion of Cathedral concerts and recital events.
- Serves as a liaison with the Grand Avenue Arts organizations (LA Opera, LA Philharmonic, YOLA, LA Master Chorale, Colburn School, etc.)
- Provides welcoming environment and assistance for visiting cantors, choirs and other liturgical ministers to the Cathedral.
- Supplies appropriate music for weddings, funerals and events of outside groups, at additional remuneration; may delegate these duties to another person.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Sacred Music, or its equivalent
Experience in leading music programs at large Catholic parishes
- Exceptional musicianship and skill in choral conducting
- Proficient organ and keyboard performance skills
- Versatile in both traditional and contemporary styles of Roman Catholic Church music
- Working knowledge of the documents of the Roman Catholic Church pertaining to liturgy and sacred music, in particular, “Sing to the Lord” Music in Divine Worship, USCCB
- Administrative, budgetary and personnel experience commensurate with directing a cathedral level program
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with many different groups of people.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferable
HOW TO APPLY:
The completed application must be submitted, along with a resume and audition material* and cover letter to: email@example.com
*Performance Material: Please provide Links to performance videos (youtube or website)
Please send the email with the following subject line:
QUESTIONS / APPLICATION CONTACT:
"Your First & Last Name - Cathedral Director of Music"
Information/Application Contact:Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels
555 W. Temple Street
Los Angeles CA 90012