4201 Whittier Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90023 map & directions
phone: 323 261 3106
Hours of Operation:
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Fall & Winter)
8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (Spring & Summer)
Open 7 days a week.
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Sundays & Holidays: Office Closed
Dedicated in 1896, Calvary is among the oldest cemeteries in Los
Angeles. Calvary is comprised of one hundred and thirty-six acres of
gently rolling parkland and is situated on Whittier Boulevard just 15
minutes from the heart of Los Angeles.
Calvary's many features are the Stations of the Cross. Admirably
executed with refined artistry in natural stone the outdoor Stations of
the Cross are placed at intervals along the main drive. Public
recitation of the Stations are made every Sunday in Lent and during the
month of November.
All Souls Chapel was constructed in 1902. This
ornate Gothic Chapel with its gabled tower and heaven-pointing spire,
can be attributed to Bishop George Montgomery. All Souls Chapel is a
replica of the parochial church in Eaton's rural district of Stoke
Poges, Buckinghamshire England. On All Souls Day, 1902, Bishop
Montgomery offered a Solemn Pontifical Mass on a temporary altar at the
site, and afterwards presided at the setting in place of the
cornerstone. During the 34 years after 1902, All Souls Chapel beca.m.e
one of the most visited houses-of -worship in Southern California.
Thousands of people journeyed there to pray for their loved ones. With
the completion of the new chapel in the mausoleum, in 1936, the older
edifice gradually lost much of its usefulness. In recent years, it has
been associated with the local clergy, hundreds of whom are buried in
its adjoining ground.
The Main Mausoleum of Calvary Cemetery was
completed in 1936 and is an everlasting shrine surrounded by carefully
tended lawns. Beautiful stained glass windows, hand painted ceilings,
and artistic detail can be found throughout the building. Within the
Mausoleum you will find the Main Chapel and Private Family Chapels.
Unique also is the privilege of daily Mass in the Mausoleum Chapel.
Everyday except Sunday and Holy Days of Obligation, Holy Mass is offered
at half past eight by the Chaplain of Calvary Cemetery.
Lady's Garden and Gethsemane Mausoleums continue to offer a variety of
crypts to suit all tastes and requirements. Additional mausoleums are
planned for future development. Not only is mausoleum entombment the
ideal modern method of laying the dead to rest, it is traditional for
Catholics. Christ Himself was entombed in the stone sepulcher of Joseph
of Arimathea. The catacombs, which were the first Catholic cemeteries,
were also mausoleums.
Located on Calvary Cemetery and Mausoleum (Grounds consist of 137 acres; cemetery was established in 1896.)
- Over 20,000 square feet of enclosed space
- Three (3) large visitation rooms
- Four (4) private arrangement rooms on the second floor
- Full-service flower shop
- Mortuary and cemetery administrative offices in one convenient location
- Fully handicapped-accessible amenities
- Several large public areas including a comfortable visitor lounge
- Children's playroom
- Beautiful courtyard with lush greenery